What to search for – and look out for – when buying handmade cement tile.
When made properly, handmade cement tiles are sensational. They type stunning patterns that seem like luxurious carpets when put in. They’ll final a lifetime or two and are simple to keep up.
Sounds nice, does not it? It’s, IF you purchase a top quality tile. You see, not all cement and concrete tiles are created equal. Cement tiles are handmade usually in small factories. Circumstances, supplies and high quality management differ considerably from firm to firm.
QUALITIES TO LOOK FOR IN A HANDMADE CEMENT TILE:
- Constant thickness of the tile. Most are within the neighborhood of 5/eight”.
- Clear design definition. The design (if there’s one) ought to have clear definition between areas.
- Consistency and depth of colours. The colours are true and constant from one tile to the subsequent. (A small quantity of shade variation is regular.)
- Straight, clear edges. These enable the grout to remain between the tiles and never over them.
- Integrity of tile. It ought to really feel sturdy and stable and never crumbly.
- Enough shade layer. The highest shade layer needs to be roughly 1/eight” thick.
PROBLEMS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN A HANDMADE CEMENT TILE:
- Various thicknesses of tile that make them laborious to put in evenly – from lack of consistency in manufacturing course of
- Design is blurry – from pouring pigment sloppily or from a mildew that has not been calibrated (made in order that it sits fully flat on the metal plate)
- Main variations with the identical shade – inaccurate measuring of shade pigments or poor high quality pigments
- Main chipping across the edges – weak combination or poor high quality management
- Crumbly on the again (weak tile) – from inconsistent hydraulic stress or an excessive amount of sand within the combination
- Skinny shade layer (lower than 1/eight” thick) – from pouring insufficient shade paste into the mildew.
- Ratio of cement to sand – with out the suitable ratio, the tile is not going to be sturdy and sturdy
- High quality of the pigments – if low cost pigments are used, colours might fade (even top quality blues and greens will fade in direct solar)
When doubtful, ask for Engineering Test Reports carried out by an out of doors testing company (not the tile producer). The commonest ones are Abrasion Resistance, Absorption, and Coefficient of Friction. These assessments are carried out based mostly on uniform requirements set by ASTM Worldwide, previously referred to as the American Society for Testing and Supplies. They’re , goal technique to insure that particular requirements are being met.
FINAL WORDS OF PRACTICAL ADVICE
Do not forget that it is a HANDMADE PRODUCT and never machined and mass-produced. Search for high quality however not perfection. Let the minor variations within the tiles remind you that you’ve one thing distinctive and exquisite.
Handmade cement tiles from one high quality producer won’t ever look precisely the identical as these made by one other high quality producer. Completely different aggregates and pigments blended into the tiles’ higher shade layer produce diversified appearances. That is a part of the great thing about mastercrafted cement tiles. Discover the look you’re keen on and go together with it.
Melanie Stephens is the co-founder of Granada Cement and Concrete Tile layers based mostly out of Los Angeles California.
Granada Tile creates sensational, handmade eco-friendly cement and concrete tiles. Working intently with architects and designers, Granada Tile strives to seize the shopper’s artistic imaginative and prescient by cement tile.
Prime tier designers and designers (together with Tihany Design, Zeff Design, BAMO, Shubin + Donaldson, and Bestor Structure) have chosen Granada Tile for his or her resorts, spas, eating places, and places of work. Owners and inside designers have chosen Granada Tile for his or her kitchens, bogs, dwelling rooms, swimming pools, patios on the flooring and partitions.
Whereas producing cement tiles on the household’s manufacturing facility in Nicaragua, Granada Tile lives as much as its dedication to be an environmentally pleasant enterprise by managing assets responsibly and never contributing to landfills or utilizing toxins.